Friday, April 17, 2009

This painting is a little different from some of my others as I have not painted a scene seen through a window before. There are two inspirations for this work.
I snapped a source photo for this piece in downtown San Francisco a few years ago. It was before we moved to California, so I was taken by all the designer shops around Union Square. I like the source photo, but it has some imperfections which I tried to paint away in this piece.
The second inspiration is Ward Schumaker www.warddraw.com. Ward illustrated the Spring/Summer 2008 Hermès catalog and there was an article about it in the San Francisco Chronicle. I devoured the article, and dreamed that Hermès or some other fabulous designer label would call me one day to illustrate their collection.
When I thought about Ward Schumaker's work, and used my Hermès storefront source photos, this painting came to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment